Why this tour?
Starting in Saint Mark’s square, this atmospheric walking tour will then whisk you away from the crowded streets into the treasure filled pockets of the Castello area. A qualified guide will walk you through the hidden squares, winding canals and historical buildings providing you with a perfect introduction to the origins, symbols, traditions, architecture, and life in current day Venice.
The tour starts with a historical introduction of St. Marks’s Square, and its architectural delights, allowing you to discover the history of the majestic St. Mark’s Basilica, the illustrious Doge’s Palace, once the seat of the power of the Republic of Venice, and the extraordinary, renaissance clock tower.
Leaving the square, you will be guided into the residential Castello area, allowing you to discover this part of Venice in all of its elegance, through its labyrinth of narrow alleys - “calli”, many bridges, winding canals and wide picturesque squares - “campi”.
You can expect to discover the Santa Maria Formosa Square, one of the largest squares in Venice with its church, named after its visitation of the Holy Virgin; the Saints Giovanni and Paolo Square where you will be able to admire the famous church, the resting place of several Doges; and the equestrian monument of Bartolomeo Colleoni, an Italian mercenary Captain. The former residence of Marco Polo, probably the most famous Venetian merchant, and the Malibran theatre are also part of the itinerary.
Throughout the tour, our local guide will provide you with historical facts, point out architectural places of interest, and share fascinating anecdotes on how Venice has developed over the ages, and how Venetians live today.
The one hour and 30 minute tour concludes in Saint Mark's Square.
- Escape the crowds by visiting an atmospheric, residential part of the city;
- Fully qualified local guide;
- Pick up from a centrally located meeting point.
- 1 hour and 30 min walking tour of Saint Mark's Square and the Castello area;
- Personal audio system and headset for tour commentary;
- Live tour commentary provided in English, French, Spanish or German.
- This tour does not include access to museums or attractions;
- Optional gratuities;
- Hotel pick up and drop off;
- Food and drink.
- This is an external walking tour only;
- Check-in is 15 minutes prior to booked tour start time;
- This activity is not wheelchair accessible;
- You should wear comfortable walking shoes;
- The walking tour will take place rain or shine.
- Saint Mark's Square;
- Saint Maria Formosa Square;
- Saints Giovanni and Paolo Square;
- External of Marco Polo's House and Malibran Theatre.
You may also like
Special Offer Price