Why this tour?
A combined tour that allows you to discover the Doge’s Venice and its oriental empire and the upper floor of Saint Marks basilica and it terrace. This guided tour is divided into two parts. From a centrally located meeting point you will be lead by a professional guide inside the magnificent Doge’s Palace, once the seat of the power of the Republic of Venice, passing through the great courtyard and over the Bridge of Sighs down into its new prisons. We then continue the tour into Saint Marks Basilica discovering its Byzantine history and biblical scenes and the glittering mosaic, we visit the first floor only which includes the museum and the terrace.
Our guide will accompany you to the Doge’s Palace, which dominates Saint Mark's Square, the heart of Venice, standing out for its size and its extraordinary structure, where Byzantine, European and Oriental architecture collide. Immediately entering the Palace you will pass through the great courtyard and admire the wealth of detail on the famous Golden Staircase. Once inside the Palace, you will visit the halls where the Duke (Doge) and his Council controlled the fate of the Serene Republic, whilst surrounded by hundreds of artistic masterpieces and discover the political history of Venice and its people. You will be able to admire the paintings realised by some of the most important artists of the Italian Renaissance, amongst them, the world's largest oil painting by Tintoretto. Passing through the famous Bridge of Sighs, you will reach the new prisons. The bridge was given its name by the English poet Lord Byron, probably referring to the last breath of the prisoners, who had their last view of the lagoon and of Venice from the window of this bridge, before they were to be imprisoned.
During the second part of the tour you will visit the outside of the Basilica, once the private chapel of the Doge of Venice, and the only one of its kind in Italy whilst listening to your guide who will describe the biblical scenes represented throughout the building, together with history and particularities of this ancient Basilica, you will visit the museum with the famous horses on the first floor and the terrace overlooking Saint Marks square.
- Guided Tour inside the Doge's Palace
- Guided Tour on the first floor of the Saint Mark's Basilica
- Entrance fees to the upper floor of the Basilica
- Admission fee to the Doges palace
- Skip-the-line entrance
- Personal audio system and headset for tour commentary
- Live tour commentary provided in English, French, Spanish, German or Italian
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Food and drink
- Optional gratuities
- Hidden itineraries in the Doge's Palace
• Check-in is 15 minutes prior to booked tour start time;
• Please for safety reason we kindly ask you to wear your mask or you can not join the tour
• This activity is not wheelchair accessible;
• Shoulders and knees must be covered inside the Basilica;
• Backpacks are not allowed inside Saint Marks Basilica or the Doge's Palace;
• This tour operates rain or shine;
• Tour maybe affected in cases of high tides and the tour will continue externally;
• Saint Mark's square
• Doge's Palace
• Bridge of Sighs and new prisons
• Saint Mark's Basilica first floor Museum and terrace
You may also like
Special Offer Price