Why this tour?
A combined tour that allows you to discover the Doge’s Venice and its oriental empire. This guided tour is divided into two parts. From a centrally located meeting point you will be lead by a professional guide to the magnificent Doge’s Palace, once the seat of the power of the Republic of Venice, and then onto the majestic Saint Mark’s Basilica, discovering its Byzantine history, the Golden Pall (Pala d'Oro) and the glittering mosaics.
Our guide will accompany you to the Doge’s Palace, which dominates Saint Mark's Square, the heart of Venice, standing out for its size and its extraordinary structure, where Byzantine, European and Oriental architecture collide. Immediately entering the Palace you will pass through the great courtyard and admire the wealth of detail on the famous Golden Staircase. Once inside the Palace, you will visit the halls where the Duke (Doge) and his Council controlled the fate of the Serene Republic, whilst surrounded by hundreds of artistic masterpieces and discover the political history of Venice and its people. You will be able to admire the paintings realised by some of the most important artists of the Italian Renaissance, amongst them, the world's largest oil painting by Tintoretto. Passing through the famous Bridge of Sighs, you will reach the new prisons. The bridge was given its name by the English poet Lord Byron, probably referring to the last breath of the prisoners, who had their last view of the lagoon and of Venice from the window of this bridge, before they were to be imprisoned.
During the second part of the tour you will visit the Basilica, once the private chapel of the Doge of Venice, and the only one of its kind in Italy, thanks to the sumptous golden mosaics and impressive marble inlay flooring.
During the tour you will be able to sit down in the church and absorb the atmosphere whilst listening to your guide who will describe the biblical scenes represented throughout the building, together with history and particularities of this ancient Basilica.
We are the only tour operator with special authorization to be seated in the central nave inside the Basilica.
The tour includes the visit of the famous Pala d'Oro, an altarpiece made of gold and silver and an exquisite example of Byzantine art with a myriad of gems and precious stones.
This 2 hour combined tour concludes outside the Basilica, in Saint Mark's Square.
- Guided Tour of the Doge's Palace and Saint Mark's Basilica;
- Admission fees;
- Skip-the-line entrance;
- Personal audio system and headset for tour commentary;
- Live tour commentary provided in English, French, Spanish and German;
- Pick up from a centrally located meeting point.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off;
- Food and drink;
- Optional gratuities;
- Hidden itineraries in the Doge's Palace.
• Check-in is 15 minutes prior to booked tour start time;
• This activity is not wheelchair accessible;
• Shoulders and knees must be covered inside the Basilica;
• Backpacks are not allowed inside the Basilica and the Doge's Palace;
• This tour operates rain or shine;
• You should wear comfortable walking shoes;
• From the 1st of November to the 31st of March there is no skip-the-line entrance to the Basilica;
• Tour maybe affected in cases of high tides.
• Saint Mark's square
• Doge's Palace
• Bridge of Sighs
• Saint Mark's Basilica
• Correr museum (on your own with the same ticket)
You may also like
Special Offer Price