Why this tour?
A combined walking city tour that allows you to discover the most important historical places and buildings of Venice. This guided tour is divided into three parts. From a centrally located meeting point you will be lead by a professional guide through the most characteristic places around the areas of Saint Mark's Square and Castello. After this walk you will visit the the Doge's Palace, once the seat of the power of the Republic of Venice, and to conclude, a visit to the interiors of Saint Mark's Basilica, with its famous Pala d’Oro and mosaics.The guided tour inside these two buildings will last two hours.
The tour starts with a historical introduction of St. Marks’s Square, and its architectural delights, allowing you to discover the history of the majestic St. Mark’s Basilica, and the surrounding buildings.
Leaving the square, you will be guided into the residential Castello area, allowing you to discover this part of Venice in all of its elegance. You can expect to see the Santa Maria Formosa Square, one of the largest squares in Venice with its church, named after its visitation of the Holy Virgin: The Saints Giovanni and Paolo Square where you will be able to admire the famous church, the resting place of several Doges; and the equestrian monument of Bartolomeo Colleoni, an Italian mercenary Captain. The former residence of Marco Polo, probably the most famous Venetian merchant, and the Malibran theatre are also part of the itinerary.
On your return to Saint Mark’s Square you will be accompanied inside the Doge’s Palace where you will visit the halls where the Duke (Doge) and his Council controlled the fate of the Serene Republic, be surrounded by hundreds of artistic masterpieces and discover the political history of Venice and its people. You will be able to admire the paintings realised by some of the most important artists of the Italian Renaissance, amongst them, the world's largest oil painting by Tintoretto. Passing through the famous Bridge of Sighs, you will reach the new prisons.
Finally you will visit the interior of St. Mark’s Basilica, once the private chapel of the Doge of Venice, and the only one of its kind in Italy, thanks to the sumptous golden mosaics and impressive marble inlay flooring.
During the tour you will be able to sit down in the church and absorb the atmosphere whilst listening to your guide who will describe the biblical scenes represented throughout the building, together with history and particularities of this ancient Basilica. The tour includes the visit of the famous Pala d'Oro, an altarpiece made of gold and silver and an exquisite example of Byzantine art with a myriad of gems and precious stones.
This 3 hour and 30 minute combined tour concludes outside the Basilica, in Saint Mark's Square.
- Guided walking city tour of the areas of Saint Mark's Square and Castello;
- Guided Tour of the Doge's Palace and Saint Mark's Basilica;
- Admission fees and skip the line entrance to the Doge’s Palace and Saint Mark’s Basilica;
- Personal audio system and headset for tour commentary;
- Live tour commentary provided in English, French, Spanish or German.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off;
- Food and drink;
- Optional gratuities;
- Hidden itineraries in the Doge's Palace.
- Check-in is 15 minutes prior to booked tour start time;
- This activity is not wheelchair accessible;
- Shoulders and knees must be covered inside the Basilica;
- Backpacks are not allowed inside the Basilica and the Doge's Palace;
- This tour operates rain or shine;
- From the 1st of November to the 31st of March there is no skip-the-line entrance to the Basilica;
- Tour maybe affected in case of high tides.
- St. Mark's Square;
- Campo Santa Maria Formosa;
- Campo San Giovanni e Paolo;
- Marco Polo's House and the Malibran Theatre;
- Saint Mark's Basilica;
- Doge's Palace.
You may also like
Special Offer Price