Why this tour?
Enjoy with us a very exciting morning visiting one of the liveliest neighborhoods in Rome where different cultures, arts and culinary traditions have created a unique and unforgettable mix.
With our experience you will discover the true essence of Testaccio district in a way that no other tour can offer.
Forget the crowds and stress of the city tourist areas and get ready to enjoy Rome differently with real locals.
In just 3 hours you will be able to see the riches of art and sculptures in the non-Catholic cemetery, admire the beauty of street art along the streets of Testaccio and, of course, visit the famous local market where the Roman culinary tradition is the main actor in every bench.
The walking tour starts with an awesome view of the “Piramide Cestia”, the only surviving Pyramid of ancient Rome and so unique with its white marble blocks. We will turn around the Pyramid and will go towards the “Non Catholic Cemetery” which is our first stop. We will enter and visit this little but suggestive cemetery which is a really peaceful and inspiring park in the heart of Rome. During the walk inside you will see outstanding sculptures and magnificent tombs, many famous non-Catholic celebrities are buried here. The cemetery is also known as “The Lost Poets garden” because it hosts the remains, among others, of British poets Shelley and Keats. But many others artists and writers are here, the famous writer Andrea Camilleri (who invented the stories of Montalbano commissioner) has recently died and is buried here too.
After that we go on around “Monte dei Cocci”, a hill made of broken pieces af terracotta vases (cocci means shards), takes a look at the unique industrial archeology complex of the “Mattatoio” (the city old slaughterhouse). This area is well known for its urban art, along the walk you will be fascinated by the street art masterpieces realized by very
worldwide famous street artists.
The last stop of the tour is the local Testaccio Food Market. This will be one of your best memories of your trip in Rome.
Forget the touristic places, they are not here! You are in the local district food market where local inhabitants go every morning for daily purchases.
Besides stalls of fruits and vegetables there are some that offer the great Roman delicases. We will stop in the various points of the market and we will share a tasting of the famous “supplì” (the typical Roman fried ball of rice with tomato and mozzarella), a tempting Pizza with “mortadella” and a juicy “panino” with ingredients to be choosen on the spot. For sure a glass of wine or beer can not be missed in this experience, we truly suggest to taste the typical “romanella” (a popular local sparkling wine).
The tour ends at 01.00 pm approximately in the heart of Testaccio.
We are sure that this experience will be in your memories for a long time!
You can choose to keep walking in this areas for a self visit in this outstanding neighborough, or back to Rome city centre to visit new places of the magnificent eternal City.
● Enjoy the visit with friendly locals from the meeting point to the final “Ciao, till next time!”
● Taste typical Roman Food with 3 tastings and local wine or beer
● Enjoy a semi private group of 6 people or fewer for the best intimate experience
- Walking itinerary with professional and friendly local guide
- Entrance donation to the non- Catholic cemetery in Rome
- 3 tastings at Testaccio Food Market (supplì, pizza and panino) and local wine or beer
- Semi private group of 6 people or fewer for the best intimate experience
● Tour is guaranteed with a minimum of 2 participants
● Tour length is approximately 3 hours, please note that the itinerary can be modified in exceptional cases of unforeseen circumstances
● You must be at the meeting point 15 minutes prior departure
● Any food allergies, intolerances or any other special requirements need to be notified upon reservation
● We recommend to bring comfortable shoes and, in summer, also sunglasses, sun lotion and a hat
● Even after booking confirmation, the tour may not be available due to force majeure or extremely bad weather conditions. On these rare occasions, we will offer the first available date or the full refund of the reservation
● Children and teenagers up to 18 years are not allowed in this tour
● No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows
• Piramide Cestia
• Non Catholic Cemetery
• Monte dei Cocci
• Testaccio food market
You may also like
Special Offer Price