Why this tour?
Be intrigued by the fascinating history of La Serenissima and discover what it is like to live in this unique city! Walking around this open air museum our informative guide will take you to the external sights of Saint Marks Square and the Doge's Palace, the Sansovino library, the Bell tower, the incredible legends of the Clock tower and the Bridge of sighs and its adjoining prisons. You will discover the extraordinary architectural master pieces and why they were built that way. Learn how Venice lost out on the trade routes and when the new World was discovered, leaving Venice medieval forever.
We enter inside Saint Marks Basilica, which majestically symbolises the lagoon and enshrines the city’s history and Saints relics. With its awe – inspiring gold mosaics our talented guide will walk you through to one of the main highlights of the Saint Marks Basilica, the “Pala d’Oro” (Golden altar), with masterpieces by generations of Venetian Goldsmiths, universally recognised as one of the most refined and accomplished works of Byzantine craftsmanship and the most precious treasure in the Saint Marks Basilica.
The tour then continues to The Doge's Palace "Palazzo Ducale", a magnificent combination of Byzantine, Gothic and Renaissance architecture, the centre of the Venetian Empire and the seat of the Venetian Government. It was once the residence of the Doge, the elected ruler of the city. Listen to our informative guide as you pass through its lavish chambers, which display masterpieces by Tintoretto, Titian and Veronese. Hear about the different roles played by the Doge and his counsellors, be entertained by our informative guide and learn about the history of the Venetian legends as you walk through the eerie, narrow passageways towards the prison cells whilst learning about the prisoners and of course, Casanova, perhaps Venice's most famous and intriguing escapee.
Take advantage of our expert guide, hear anecdotes about this remarkable city and its historical characters, Casanova, Marco Polo to name two. This walk is an absolute must for the first time visitor, leaving you knowing so much more about this not so practical but precious city.
- 2-Hour combination walking tour of Saint Marks Basilica & the Doges Palace;
- Skip the line tickets!! Avoid the public queues with our special pass;
- Visit the Golden altar and cross over the bridge of Sighs;
- Pass through the new prisons of the Doges palace;
- Fully licensed English speaking guide.
- Live guide in English;
- Audio headset while more than 10 pax on group;
- Entrance fees to the Pala D'oro;
- Skip the line and entrance fees into Saint Mark's Basilica and the Doge's Palace.
- Optional gratuities;
- Hotel pick up and drop off;
- Food and drink;
- Does not include the upper floor of the Basilica.
- Check-in is 15 minutes prior to the booked tour start time;
- This activity is not wheelchair accessible;
- Maximum group size is 25 people;
- This activity operates rain or shine;
- Shoulders and knees must be covered in the Basilica;
- Backpacks are not allowed inside the Basilica and the Doge's Palace;
- This is a combination tour and we do not stop between tours;
- Our assistant will be holding an orange umbrella and a sign so she is easy to find;
- At the end of the tour, keep your Doge's Palace ticket to visit: Museo Correr, Museo Archeologico Nazionale and Monumental Rooms of the Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana in Saint Mark's square;
- On very few occasions Saint Mark's Basilica may be closed due to religious ceremonies, public holidays, private events or high water and we are not always informed in advance. The Basilica and the Square will be done externally only and the Doge's Palace will be 1-hour and 30 minutes; total length of tour (Basilica Doge's Palace) 2 hours.
- Combination tour of the external sites of Saint Marks Square, Saint Marks Basilica on the ground floor including the Pala d'Oro and the Doges Palace.
You may also like
Special Offer Price