Why this tour?
A fascinating private walking tour of the ancient area of San Polo, one of the six districts of Venice. Your private guide will accompany you on the discovery of this renowned area, once the heart of the commercial part of the city and now a popular residential area. Learn about the lives of bankers, brokers and merchants, as they conducted their affairs by day, and their less than official nocturnal affairs, with the local ladies by night!
Our expert guide will give you the low down on how Venice was one of the most revered cities of trade, where East met West, and exotic items such as silk and oriental spices were traded along with copper and wood. Discover the history behind the Venetian’s love of all things luxurious, including what were the residential palaces of the local courtesans. Be entertained by illuminating stories of decadence and secrets of these often-accomplished musicians & brilliant conversationalists, and sometime used as spies for the State!
The second part of this tour will provide you with the opportunity to admire the gothic Frari cathedral which dwarfs the Eastern section of San Polo. Admired not only for its sheer size, and its striking interior but also for the numerous and highly respected quality of its works of art. Home to masterpieces from Renaissance Masters such as Titian and Bellini, it is hard not to be moved by the sculpture of Antonia Canova’s tomb. A must for all art lovers!
- A fascinating tour of the area of San Polo, traditionally the city’s commercial quarter and once the red-light district;
- Admire Rialto Bridge and learn the legend of the Statue of the 'Gobbo di San Giacomo';
- Visit one of the city’s biggest squares, the Campo San Polo and its surrounding area;
- See the interior of Frari Church with its masterpieces by Titian and Bellini, the Monks' Choir and Canova's tomb.
- Private guide for entire tour;
- 2-hour walking tour covering the San Polo district;
- Free Hotel pick up on request, if your hotel is in the Saint Mark’s Square area.
- This tour does not include entrance fees to the Frari Church;
- Optional gratuities;
- Hotel drop off;
- Food and drink.
- This activity is not wheelchair accessible;
- You should wear comfortable walking shoes;
- The walking tour will take place rain or shine;
- For larger groups, please make separate request.
- San Polo district.
- Rialto bridge.
- Statue of the Gobbo di San Giacomo.
- Campo San Polo.
- Frari Church.
You may also like
Special Offer Price