Why this tour?
A combined city tour that allows you to discover the most important historical places and buildings of Venice. This tour is guided and divided into two parts. At 9.00am from a centrally located meeting point you will be lead by a professional guide through the most characteristic places around the areas of Saint Mark's Square and Castello (duration 1 hour and 30'). Then at twelve o'clock we will meet again and you will visit the interiors of Saint Mark's Basilica, discovering the Byzantine history, the Golden Pall (Pala d'Oro) and the glittering mosaics.
The tour starts with a historical introduction of St. Marks’s Square, and its architectural delights, allowing you to discover the history of the majestic St. Mark’s Basilica, the illustrious Doge’s Palace, once the seat of the power of the Republic of Venice, and the extraordinary, renaissance clock tower.
Leaving the square, you will be guided into the residential Castello area, allowing you to discover this part of Venice in all of its elegance, through its labyrinth of narrow alleys - “calli”, many bridges, winding canals and wide picturesque squares - “campi”.
You can expect to see the Santa Maria Formosa Square, one of the largest squares in Venice with its church, named after its visitation of the Holy Virgin; the Saints Giovanni and Paolo Square where you will be able to admire the famous church, the resting place of several Doges; and the equestrian monument of Bartolomeo Colleoni, an Italian mercenary Captain. The former residence of Marco Polo, probably the most famous Venetian merchant, and the Malibran theatre are also part of the itinerary.
After returning to Saint Mark's Square, an official guide will provide you with a detailed tour of the Golden Basilica, once the private chapel of the Doge of Venice, the only one of its kind in Italy, thanks to the sumptuous golden mosaics and impressive marble inlay flooring. During the tour you will be able to sit down in the church and absorb the atmosphere whilst listening to your guide who will describe the biblical scenes represented throughout the building, together with history and particularities of this ancient Basilica.
The tour includes the visit of the famous Pala d’Oro -an altarpiece made of gold and silver and an exquisite example of Byzantine art with a myriad of gems and precious stones.
This 2 hour and 30 minute combined tour concludes outside the Basilica, in Saint Mark's Square.
- Guided walking tour covering the areas of Saint Mark's Square and Castello;
- Guided tour of Saint Mark's Basilica;
- Admission fees and skip the line entrance to the Basilica;
- Personal audio system and headset for tour commentary;
- Live tour commentary provided in English, French, Spanish or German.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off;
- Food and drink;
- Optional gratuities;
- Admission to the upper floor of the Basilica.
• Check-in is 15 minutes prior to booked tour start time;
• This activity is not wheelchair accessible;
• Shoulders and knees must be covered inside the Basilica;
• Backpacks are NOT allowed inside the Basilica;
• This tour operates rain or shine;
• From the 1st of November to the 31st of March there is no skip-the-line entrance to the Basilica;
• Tour maybe affected in the case of high tides;
• There is one hour and half stop between the walking tour and the golden Basilica.
• St. Mark's Square
• Campo Santa Maria Formosa
• Campo SS Giovanni & Paolo
• Marco Polo's House and the Malibran Theatre
• Saint Mark's Basilica and Golden Altar
You may also like
Special Offer Price