Why this tour?
Discover the Doge's Palace, one of the most important symbols of Venice and for centuries, the historical seat of the most important political power of the Serene Venetian Republic. Meet your professional guide in Saint Mark's Square who will escort you into this magnificent palace, to visit the halls of power, and immerse yourself in medieval Europe, among hundreds of masterpieces.
Dominating Saint Mark's Square, the heart of Venice, the Doge's Palace stands out for its size and its extraordinary structure, where Byzantine, European and Oriental architecture collide. Immediately entering the Palace you will pass through the great courtyard and admire the wealth of detail on the famous Golden Staircase.
Once inside the Palace, you will visit the halls where the Duke (Doge) and his Council controlled the fate of the Serene Republic, whilst surrounded by hundreds of artistic masterpieces and discover the political history of Venice and its people. You will be able to admire the paintings realised by some of the most important artists of the Italian Renaissance, amongst them, the world's largest oil painting by Tintoretto. Passing through the famous Bridge of Sighs, you will reach the new prisons. The bridge was given its name by the English poet Lord Byron, probably referring to the last breath of the prisoners, who had their last view of the lagoon and of Venice from the window of this bridge, before they were to be imprisioned.
The first part of the tour concludes in the courtyard of the Doge's Palace.
You will proceed later with your guide discovering Venice’s most unusual and characteristic corners during this charming walking tour. Experience a lesser-known Venice, wandering through its back streets and small hidden squares starting just outside Saint Mark's Square and reaching Rialto Bridge, and learn a little about what its like living in this unique city.
and let yourself be lead through the labyrinth of alleyways, squares or “campi” and hear about the history, stories and the local Venetian dialect. On leaving the square, you will stop in front of the Fenice Theatre, one of the most famous Opera House's in Europe, learn about its glorious but also troubled history. Passing through other hidden corners of the city you will be able to discover the history of Venice, through its prominent architectural sights. Admire the Bovolo Staircase, a Renaissance masterpiece, and one of Venice's finest architectural jewels; this fascinating and complex spiral staircase is part of the Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo and dates from 1499. It is tucked away in a small courtyard close to Campo Manin. Before heading back, you will make a stop close to the Rialto Bridge, the oldest bridge across the Grand Canal and discover what made it the historical center of the commercial area of the city.
- Discover the history of the famous Doge's Palace;
- Admire the world′s largest oil painting by Tintoretto;
- View the impressive halls of the Sala del Maggior Consiglio;
- Visit the prisons of the Doge's Palace by crossing the Bridge of Sighs;
- A guided walk away from the crowds to discover hidden Venice;
- External visit of the most popular Venetian sights and hidden corners: the Fenice Theatre, the Bovolo Staircase and Rialto Bridge;
- Pick up from centrally located meeting point.
- Admission fees to the Doge's Palace and skip the line;
- Guided Tour of the area covering Saint Mark's Square and the Rialto Bridge;
- Live tour commentary provided;
- Personal audio system and headset for tour commentary.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off;
- Food and drink;
- Optional gratuities;
- Hidden itineraries in the Doge's Palace.
- Check-in is 15 minutes prior to booked tour start time;
- This tour is not suitable if you have limited mobility;
- This activity is not wheelchair accessible;
- Backpacks are not allowed inside the Doge's Palace;
- You should wear comfortable walking shoes;
- This tour operates rain or shine;
- Tour may be affected in case of high tides;
- If you keep the Doge's Palace ticket, at the end of the tour or the following day you will be allowed to visit the Correr Museum in Saint Mark's square.
- The Doge's Palace;
- Bovolo Staircase;
- The Fenice Theatre;
- Rialto Bridge.
You may also like
Special Offer Price